Sunday 4 July 2010

Mr Plum makes a discovery in the garden ...

This is our third summer at Plum Cottage ... and we often moan about the large tree in our garden whose roots have destroyed our lawn, and we think that this tree will eventually be responsible for the entire building crashing down around our ears!

Something is different about this tree this year ... something which has made Mr Plum question whether it is an ornamental cherry tree ... or an edible variety ...

We had noticed that there was a lot of very ripe fruit falling onto our garden table, into our food and onto our cat. Mr Plum was CONVINCED that the cherries were edible...I preferred to err on the side of caution.

This afternoon, brave Mr Plum tried one of the cherries ... and declared that he believed it was edible, and went straight onto t'internet to do some more research - as Mr Plum does ...

He is now busy in the garden picking away ... it would seem that our cherry tree is indeed an edible variety!!

Maybe all we needed was a perfect summer to ripen the fruit?


I think that I may wait until tomorrow to see if there are any side effects, before trying some myself!

Here's a quick veggie patch update picture ... I can't believe how much has grown in the last week!

4 comments:

Lululiz said...

They sure look like very edible, quite normal cherries to me. Yummilicious.

Kandi said...

I love that you are waiting to see if he is ill first! Well you have to think of the bump :)
Kandi x

Unknown said...

They look very nice. I hope Mr P is still alive this morning.....?! xx

Scented Sweetpeas said...

oohh how yummy, I do so hope those cherries are the eating variety for you (and your husband lol). Well done for getting him to taste test them first :-)