Monday 6 October 2008

"Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day" by Winifred Watson


Another brilliant book.  I had never heard of "Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day" - but was intrigued by a poster which appeared at my local train station.  The film was released in August ... and it's looking quite likely that I have missed the film at the cinema - oh well, I have read the book which is absolutely amazing!

First published in 1930 by Winifred Watson, this novel has recently been re-published by Persephone Books along with the original illustrations.  Miss Pettigrew is a fairy tale ... the dowdy, spinster governess turns up on the doorstep of a nightclub singer and ends up being made over, taken to a nightclub and travelling home in a taxi ... with a man! It reads like a Fred Astaire film and in my head the singer is played by Ginger Rogers! 

Reading this has inspired me to look at other titles in the Persephone range.

No comments: