Thursday 16 October 2008

Green Tomato Chutney

Regular readers will know that I had quite a few green tomatoes this year.  I have used up the remaining tomatoes (about 1lb) and made a lovely (I hope!) green tomato chutney.  I used a recipe of my mum's and adapted it a little bit....looking forward to having a dollop with some nice cheese!  I didn't make a lot - only two jars, but that's enough to keep us going til Christmas!

1lb tomatoes, chopped
Half a red onion, sliced very thinly
1 apple, peeled, cored & chopped
1/4 pint of balsamic vinegar
4 oz chopped dates
tsp salt
4oz brown sugar

1.  Put the tomatoes, onion and apple in a large, heavy-based pan with the vinegar.  Bring to the boil and then simmer until tender.

2.  Add the dates and cook until the mixture has thickened.

3.  Add the salt and sugar and stir well until the sugar has dissolved.

4.  Pot and seal.

No comments: