Wednesday 20 January 2010

Shall we go to Metro-land?


Last night I went to a very interesting lecture at the London Transport Museum. The theme of the talk was Betjemen and Suburbia ... the main part of the talk was given by a museum curator - with poetry read by an old chap from the Betjemen Society.

I love the old transport posters - and it was great to have some of them put into the context of the expansion of the Metropolitan railway and the building of suburbia. There are a series of talks and I have got tickets booked for another one in February:

Home Comforts

The style of the new suburban interiors and the changing role of the housewife in the 1920s and 1930s. This talk focuses on the wives and mothers who found themselves in charge of their new homes, in Metroland - far removed from the hustle and bustle of the city centre. Emmanuelle will explore how homes changed dramatically after the First World War, through the boom in technology and labour saving devices, and in their decorative schemes. She will compare the sleek ideal 'moderne' interiors that featured in magazines and promotional material, with the ubiquitous reality of mock Jacobean sideboards and floral wallpapers. Drawing on women's magazines of the time she will also discuss the woman's role in the house, where she shopped and what she bought.

You can purchase tickets here

London is so much more bearable when I remember to do lovely things!
I will be visiting the Suburbia exhibition soon!


4 comments:

Lululiz said...

I love the sound of the February one, sounds absolutely fascinating. If only I didn't hate travelling to London so much, sigh.

Victoria - Florence and Mary said...

How interesting.

I'm setting a resolution to do more in London aside from shopping and travelling to work!

Saturday I'm off to Kensington Palace for the Débutantes Exhibition

Victoria x

Anonymous said...

Hi - and thanks so much for popping by my blog. I'm glad to have found you.xx

Kelly said...

Hi how funny i was there last weekend! I love the museum and can get in free!