Sunday 21 September 2008

"Maisie Dobbs" by Jacqueline Winspear


I'm always on the look out for a new series of books to read - you know what it's like, you get to the end of one book, feel a bit sad that you have finished it - but can pick up the next in the series straight away!  

I was over at a friends house for dinner a couple of weeks ago and she lent me the first four "Maisie Dobbs" novels (and there are more - I have just checked on Amazon! Excellent!).  I have just devoured the first one.

"Maisie Dobbs" is set 1910-1929. The novel jumps around a bit from when Maisie was a girl in service, to her time at Cambridge, then as a nurse in the First World War and then as a detective in 1929.  I enjoyed every minute of this book - it was a real page turner .... and left me sobbing my heart out at the end! I can't wait to get started on the second book "Birds of a Feather".

No comments: