Tuesday 5 April 2011

Baby Led Weaning: Our adventures so far!

April already! Hellooooo!

Well, Baby Plum is now 33 weeks and we have been enjoying weaning for the last seven, or so, weeks.

I hadn't really given weaning much thought but as she hurtled towards being 17 weeks old and my other Mummy Friends began to give their babies purees and baby rice - I started to look into it!

I don't know where I came across the term "Baby Led Weaning" first. Probably a blog. But it made sense to me.

The basic premise is to hold off weaning until your baby is 6 months old (and their digestive system is more developed) and offer them food. No, not purees and mash. Your food, the food off your plate. Some broccoli? Mmm. Roast vegetable fingers? Yes please! Some fajita veg in Chiquitos - YEAH!!

I didn't know when to start. But Baby Plum knew when she was ready for food. It was the day she grabbed a banana out of my hand and shoved it in her mouth!

I love banana!


Not the best self portrait - but here we are enjoying fajita veg salad!


I'll have a full English, Mummy!


I love Mexican tortillas! Can I have some more guacamole please - it makes a lovely face pack!!

I do spoon feed Baby Plum her breakfast as I can't cope with porridge being spread around my kitchen each morning!

The thing with BLW is that food should be fun - Baby Plum will play with most of her food rather that eat it all up. She does eat some of it (her nappies are proof of that!) but her main source of nutrients continues to be her milk feeds. She sits at the table with me and Mr Plum each evening and has some of whatever we are eating. She has tried so much food! It is great fun.

2 comments:

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

Hey that's fantastic!! I guess that's how it should be. Wish I had thought about it myself a few years back. I'm betting that she'll be a great eater and not fussy later in life. Great work Mama!

Kelly said...

Wow! I am thinking about weaning already, I'm on a countdown! Now I'm confused. I'll have to start looking up stuff I just automatically thought 17 weeks, baby rice, fab! Miss Plum is gorgeous!!!